Wednesday 3 November 2010

It's too early for the hangover!

Oh... my... life. It's just over two weeks until curtain up on Skylight and it can’t come soon enough. It’s been immensely hard work one way and another, and not just because I've had so many lines to learn and the play is technically incredibly tricky, what with the cooking and everything – other factors, theatre-related and otherwise, have played a big part in making the last few months a less than wonderful experience.

It upsets me that I haven’t been able to enjoy the rehearsal process this time – normally it’s what makes the whole thing worthwhile. I suffer so badly with nerves that, believe it or not, being on stage in front of an audience is not why I do this, it’s terrifying, and curtain calls are my bête noire – I’d rather just finish the play and go home or up to the bar for a gin, without all that bowing and clapping nonsense! Fun rehearsals, a challenge and the chance to wear wigs and false eyelashes(!) have always been the draw for me – and although it’s been a great challenge for sure, for one reason and another it's fallen flat this time. They say, when you don’t enjoy something anymore, stop doing it, but unfortunately when you’re tied into it like this you can’t just walk away.

Right now, even though it hasn’t finished just yet, I’m in that ‘hangover’ phase – you know, when you had one (or several) too many the night before, and this morning you’re holding your aching head and rocking back and forth, swearing ‘never again’. I wasn’t planning to act next year as I want to concentrate on directing Irma Vep, but at this point, I feel like I don’t ever want to act again – my stress levels are at an all-time high and my finger nails are being bitten shorter by the day. I’m really hoping that’ll pass as acting’s been part of my life forever and I would hate to lose it.
Whinge, whinge, whinge!

I am, however, looking forward to immersing myself in the directorial side of things next year. I am currently getting to write, albeit not ‘properly’, as I’m putting together the audition notice. It’s a fine line between conveying your enthusiasm for a play and encouraging people to audition, and being overzealous and sending folk running for the hills. I hope I get the balance right!

Also, I’m enjoying a book by one of my favourite authors at the moment – Jasper Fforde. As a rule I find it hard to read when I’m learning lines, but as my lines are learnt now and I must derive pleasure from somewhere, I have picked up an old favourite. If you consider yourself a writer in any capacity, or simply love words and literature and you have never read any of his books before, you absolutely must. The man is a genius – if I’m not laughing at something funny, I’m marvelling at something clever.

Finally, I joined the Rach Writes Inaugural Writers’ Platform-Building Crusade the other day, a marvellous idea and a lovely way of knitting together the blogging community - pop along and join. And welcome to my newest followers who've found me via the Crusade!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, thanks for the shout-out, glad you came on board the Crusade :)

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Rach - it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curtain must be up on opening night right about now, so hope it's going well and you're surviving that whole Spaghetti Bolognese thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Adina! Curtain up is tomorrow night and have currently lost my voice!! Rehearsal was interesting last night and I'm hoping final dress tonight will be less scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I'm a fellow crusader just calling in to say hello. If it makes you feel any better I went to watch Cirque du Soleil yesterday and it was FANTASTIC! I heart anyone who rehearses that much for their art and puts it all out there, so good luck and hope it gets better next year. Thanks for the author tip, I need a new read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine - thanks for your kind wishes, and enjoy Jasper Fforde! Start with the Thursday Next Literary Detective series. :o)

    ReplyDelete